Routing between internal subnets

  • From: "UNE-Alexey Fernandez, J' Grupo Tecnico OEB TI" <alexeyf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:54:18 -0400

Hi to all,

Dear colleagues, I'm facing the following challenge:

I want to take advantage of multi-networking feature of ISA Server 2004,
to serve internet via a main ISA server (2 physical interfaces) at the
top level domain of a network with a lot of branches connected to it
with HDSL and concentrated in 3 Cisco routers, all the internet request
are finally served by an ISA Server 2004 for all the subnets in
172.0.0.0/14. Each subnet belongs to a particular domain in the domain
tree (not all domains are integrated to active directory). The question
is how to divide the IP traffic between these subnets so that the
internal traffic could be routed between subnets and internet traffic
goes outside via ISA Server enabling it for NAT to some subnets (= sub
domains in my case), for firewall clients to other subnets and only for
web proxy to other subnets?.

I was working around it by defining Networks, Networks Rules and
Firewall Policies, but when I declare a Network with some subnets, these
subnets can't reach the rest of subnets and vice versa, and the main
problem, these subnets can't reach ISA Server internal interface; even
when I declare the Network Rule and Policies enabling protocols and
routing between them. I think I am apparently still missing something. I
only reach routing between subnets when I include all subnets in the
single predefined network "Internal", but I need to separate it due to
the internet access I need to apply to each subnet (need for
authentication, NAT, Firewall Client, etc.)

Thanks in Advance,

Lic. Alexey Fernandez Suarez