RE: Regarding Xincom, RainConnect and Other Sports Stories

  • From: "Thor \(Hammer of God\)" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:54:43 -0800

Thanks for taking the time to break it out like that-- it's really not clear otherwise. For instance, when you say "If you don't need load balancing and real time fail over, then you don't need any more ISA firewalls" you mean "load balancing" *between* ISA firewalls, right? I still get "load balancing" with a single ISA server (multiple NIC's going to multiple ISP's) for Internet traffic, and I still get "fail over" between ISP's, right?

I'm not trying to be dense- it's just I see "if you don't need load balancing and failover, I don't need more firewalls" but then I see "Single ISA Firewall (rainconnect only) gives fail over and load balancing.."

The statements contradict each other on the surface...

Am I to understand that with a single ISA 2004 firewall with RainConnect installed on it, I can have 2 external networks to two different ISP's on the one ISA server itself, and that will give me load balancing of outbound Internet traffic between the two ISP's as well as fault tolerance should one of the connections to a particular ISP go down? I hope the answer is "yes."

If "yes," where does the DNS have to live for the "agent" to work? I obviously can't host my own DNS in such a config, right?

I hope my Q's don't frustrate you guys- it's just that the terms are ambiguous.

-----
"I may disapprove of what you say,
but I will defend to the death your
right to say it."