RE: RES: RE: RES: RE: RES: RE: Spooky filter problem! Tom?

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <m.hippenstiel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:26:58 +0100

Well.. I would agree with others and say it's only a game(-server) why
bother. But since we are talking about a technical problem it's interesting
to find out what the problem is - at least to a certain extent.

You know enough about ISA to be aware that there are technical limitations
that btw apply to any firewall. So there's really no need to discuss if ISA
is suited for that kind of application. I would say it is. The problem lies
in the communication, I would advise you to look for articles from
firewalled CS users for instance on expert exchange.

If you only used CS to test for the availability of your HLDS, I would say
that this is not enough. The thread topic you choose implies that you assume
that the problem could be caused by an unknown bug in the filtering
mechanisms... I recommend that you get a port scanner and scan for all open
ports once from within your network and once from external. I bet there's a
port or two missing. Further you might want to have a closer look at
low-level network communications on the external machine to see what's
really happening.

And you could contact Valvesoftware (I believe it is) and ask if they can
provide you with more information.

It's like I said - if you don't know enough about the protocol being used
you're bound to test and try. It's a lot of work.

If I can help you in any other way let me know. Good Luck!
Mark

Ps Did you try to change the UDP filter properties? I would set SendReceive
for 'incoming' and ReceiveSend for 'outgoing'