RE: RES: RE: Info II

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:50:05 -0500

To set up SQL Server for ISA Server logging

1.      Set up SQL Server with a database file:

        a.      On the SQL Server computer, start Enterprise Manager.
        b.      Connect to the SQL Server computer that you want to host the
database files.
        c.      On the Tools menu, click SQL Query Analyzer.
        d.      On the File menu, click Open and open "ISA CD":\Isa.
        e.      Open one of the following .sql files, based on how you want to
log to an SQL database:

                *       For the Microsoft Firewall service, open the Fwsrv.sql
file.
                *       For Web Proxy, open the W3proxy.sql file.

        f.      Add the following lines to the top of each script:
                Create database <database name> Go
                Use <database name>
                Go
        g.      On the Query menu, click Execute.

2.      Set up SQL Server to accept the Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) data
connection from the ISA Server computer. If ISA Server is not located in the
same Windows Server 2003 domain or Windows 2000 domain, you must set up a SQL
Server account:

        a.      Start the SQL Enterprise Manager and connect to the SQL Server
computer that you set up to host your databases.
        b.      Click Microsoft SQL Servers, click SQL Server Group, click
server_name, click Security, and then right-click Logins.
        c.      Click New Login.
        d.      If you are located in the same domain as ISA Server, you can
click Windows Authentication.

                1.      In Name, type: domainname\isaservername$
                2.      On the Database Access tab, click the databases that
this logon method can access (the databases that you created earlier).

        e.      If you are located on a different domain than ISA Server, you
must use SQL Server Authentication:

                1.      (Optional) In Name, type a specific name.
                2.      Use a name to describe the logon method.
                3.      Enter a password for this logon method.
                4.      On the Database Access tab, select the databases that
this logon method can access (the databases that you created earlier).

        f.      Select Change the default database, and then select the
database to which ISA Server will log data.
        g.      If you are using SQL Server 2000 or later, you must configure
"SELECT" and "INSERT" permissions.
        h.      Stop, and then start the SQL Server service.

3.      Set up the ODBC data source on the ISA Server computer:

        a.      Under Administrative Tools, click Data Sources (ODBC).
        b.      On the System DSN tab, click Add.
        c.      Click the SQL Server driver, and then click Finish.
        d.      Assign the data source with the same name that you used for the
database file.
        e.      Type the name of the SQL Server computer, and then click Next.
        f.      There are two options for database authentication. These
options correspond to the account that you set up in step two:

                *       Click With Windows NT authentication using the network
login ID, to use the ISA Server computer account for authentication. This
option can only be used in a Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 domain.
                *       Click With SQL Server authentication using a login ID
and password entered by the user to use an SQL account for authentication.

        g.      Follow the on-screen instructions.

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/drisa/
MVP -- ISA Firewalls