RE: RES: RE: IP SCAN

  • From: "Mark Hippenstiel" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:05:25 +0200

Bom dia Alex,

as far as I observed this is fairly common. There are a number of people
out there who on a regular basis try to break into systems. Those
attempts are detected as well-known, half and full scan attempts. It is
a good advise to check the security of your setup as you are in fact a
target of an intrusion attempt.

But as long as everything's save in this respect, you can relax and let
your system be port-scanned, nothing else will happen there. You
wouldn't want to waste your time running after these events only to find
out that the source ip was spoofed.

Question for the experts: would there be any method of gathering more
information about the attacker (including spoofed IPs) that could be
automated? I don't know exactly which information could be considered
useful - but surely this is a common demand among firewall admins, no?

Mark