RE: RES: POP3 & SMTP

  • From: "Friese, Casey" <cfriese@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:21:06 -0500

I'm using the firewall client on all of my client machines and we also
use ISP provided POP3 from the internet.  Everything works like a charm.
My opinion, which may be different than the list, is not to have all
clients secure nat to the ISA.  All of my clients have a default gateway
set to my cisco router.

If you have more than one physical location that is tied into your
network, making the clients secure nat to the ISA is BS and will cause
headaches.  If you do this then you're left with using the ISA as a
router for intra office communication.

My philosphy is this, clients behind the inside (south) nic in the ISA
should have the FW client installed or their web browsers manually
pointed to the IS,. and their default gateways pointed to a cisco
router.  Servers that are published through the ISA should only be your
only secure nat clients, especially in in a DMZ setting.