RE: RES: Off topic: SBS Licensing

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:23:49 -0800

> No! That's not what I was saying. You first install the SBS machine as a
> DC/Exchange/File/WhateverElseItDoes Server on the internal network.

OK.

> Then, you install a second SBS machine on the network as the ISA Server.
> However, from what Amy says, its becomes somewhat of a PIA because of
> its "autodetection" mechansim. However, can't you install the Windows
> 2000 Server from the i386 folder and then install the ISA Server
> component?

I am not sure about a auto-detection, but there is nothing to prevent you
from having more than one domain/forest on a network. They just will not
share AD objects.

Even if you install from the I386 folder, the files will be specific to SBS
in the same way that you can not use the I386 folder from a MSDN for a
retail install. The license keys will not work.

Having said that though, it is an interesting idea to test.

> Bottom line: Internal DC running SBS services. Edge Server running ISA
> Server. We buy two SBS licenses.

Is the point to have ISA as part of the SBS domain? If not, Then install the
2nd SBS using ISA as the firewall. If so, maybe go with a Sonicwall on the
edge to off load most work, then leave ISA on SBS for the integrated stuff.

John Tolmachoff
MCSE, CSSA
Owner, Network Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You