Question about anonymous showing up in Logs

  • From: "Larke, Daniel" <LarkeD@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:23:23 -0500

Hey,

I have a lot of anonymous users showing up in my Webproxy logs for ISA.  I
was wondering why they are there.  I do have "Ask unauthenticated users for
identification" check for both incoming and outgoing web request.

Another part of this puzzle is at the same time a web call is being made
from the same computer to the same site.  The different about this call is
that it has the user name.  Here is example of the log.

 anonymous              wisapidata.weatherbug.com       10.1.3.122      4167
299     00:05:50        05/04/03
 anonymous              wisapidata.weatherbug.com       10.1.3.122      803
0       00:05:50        05/04/03
 USOCE\diazk    wisapidata.weatherbug.com       10.1.3.122      138     523
00:05:50        05/04/03

Does spyware type applications make a web call under anonymous and still get
out even with "Ask unauthenticated users for identification" checked off.

I'm toying with the idea of blocking some sites and things like that, but
thats a policatal battle.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Dan