RE: Q: Cannot access published web server from inte rnal network

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 06:54:47 -0700

You want to translate www.externalname.com to an internal IP, but you don't
want to provide name resolution with that capability?
Ok, you have to take the freeway to work, but you have to ride your kid's
tricycle and you have to maintain the speed limit.

Reality check, here; no host connects to another by using names.  That's
strictly for us dumb humans that can't remember a 32-bit number.
Speaking of which, do you think IPv6 is going to make it any easier?
Every TCP/IP connection that one host makes to another is through IP
addresses and, if they're on the same routed subnet, MAC addresses.
FQDN (DNS) resolution services allows hosts to talk to each other *_ in
spite of _* the "friendly names" we use.

Two choices; stop trying to "beat the system" and
    1. set up an internal DNS solution
or
    2. quit trying to connect internally using an external name

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG

From: Paul Heath [mailto:paul@xxxxxxxxxx]
Hi Andrew,

Could it be that you're using host headers?
If so, make sure that your webserver also listen on your internal
netbios or hostname.

Paul