Re: Publishing The Exchange server

  • From: Thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:35:14 -0700

For what it is worth, I originally had my Exchange 2000 Server as per specs,
but also experienced some funky issues.  I have internal DNS, and do not
maintain external DNS- I use my provider for all external DNS.

As funky as it seems, this is how I now have it set, and have had smooth
sailing:

Static Internal IP, with Internal DNS.  Firewall client loaded, but gateway
set to ISA as if SNAT client.  In the properties of my server's SMTP Virtual
Server, Delivery tab, Advanced button, Configure external DNS servers
button, I give the IP's of my provider's DNS servers. This way the box
registers with my local DNS (AD), but all SMTP resolves via external DNS.

I'm sure I could set the gateway to my default (rather than ISA) and it
would work, but I have not had time to mess with it.  Besides, it all works
perfectly, so there has not been a big push for me to do it, other than
curiosity.  I don't know how many lives my cat has left, and am not prone to
finding out :)

hth
Attonbitus Deus
Thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx