RE: Publishing DNS

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:12:28 -0600

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/You_Need_to_Create_a_Split_DNS.html

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder
www.isaserver.org/shinder
http://tinyurl.com/1jq1
http://tinyurl.com/1llp

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Sloan [mailto:Jsloan@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 9:25 AM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] Publishing DNS

http://www.ISAserver.org

I have two internal DNS servers (Win 2000) that I assume are working
correctly because when they are running name resolution works fine.
Earthlink and I are trying to publish them through the ISA server and
make them the primary for my domain, and Earthlink DNS servers will
become secondary to mine.
That will be great, because I can add entries and such and not have to
wait on hold forever to ask someone to do it for me and then
misunderstand the request and set something up wrong.

DNS will have to be published to my internal server both ways so their
servers can query mine and mine can query theirs.
The protocols built in to ISA are all port 53 for DNS, but they
(Earthlink) say 42 is needed also.

What is needed to do this? I would need all port numbers, udp/tcp and
direction info.
Would my DNS servers have to be secure nat or firewall clients, both,
what?

I have looked through both of Tom's books and the site, but haven't
found it.
If I missed it, could you point me to the page?

Thanks,

Jeff Sloan
Network Administrator
Cross Oil Refining & Marketing, Inc.

List Sponsored by Aspelle
Aspelle's Microsoft-centric, Aspelle Everywhere, leverages ISA server
and the Internet to quickly and cost-effectively manage and deliver
secure, client-less access to all corporate applications (Web, Unix,
Windows and legacy systems), for all users.
More info at http://www.aspelle.com/info