RE: Publish a VPN server / ISA 2004

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:36:59 -0500

Hi Greg,

Ha! "hardware". Better check to see if he has an insurance policy for
data loss :)

Check the www.isaserver.org, I'm sure I did an article on publishing
PPTP servers. Make sure the downstream ISA firewall terminating the VPN
connection is a SecureNAT client of the upstream ISA firewall.

Oh, wait a minute, you're using a low security IPSec tunnel mode client.
Ouch. You need to know exactly what protocols are being used by the
vendor and how they match up with RFC. The reason why MS went with
L2TP/IPSec over IPSec tunnel mode is that they did not want to lock
people into proprietary implementation of IPSec tunnel mode, since it
was NEVER designed for remote access VPN client connections.

/off sandbox.

Thomas W Shinder, M.D.
Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/drisa/
MVP -- ISA Firewalls