[isalist] Re: Problems with Traffic/Stats Software not reporting properly...

  • From: "Gerald Young" <g.young@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:31:25 -0400

There's just a couple of things you need to keep in mind.

The path back to the Internet from the protected web servers will need
to pass back through ISA, otherwise, you'll end up with asynchronous
routing of traffic.

Inbound Request: Internet -> ISA -> Published Server
Outbound Response: Published Server -> Some other firewall/router ->
Internet

You'll also want to make sure that ISA isn't sitting in a DMZ protected
by a different firewall.  If it is, you'll need to be sure to allow the
traffic from Internet IPs to pass back through the back side firewall.

Front Side Firewall -> DMZ ISA -> Back Side Firewall

If you're doing the standard Internet -> ISA -> Published Server,
though, you should be fine with just the publishing and flipping that
setting to allow ISA to pass back the source IP.  Providing, of course
that the path to the Internet from the published servers passes back
through the ISA box.

Published Server -> ISA -> Internet

Cordially yours,
Jerry G. Young II
Applications Engineer, Platform Engineering
Enterprise Hosting
NTT America, an NTT Communications Company

22451 Shaw Rd.
Sterling, VA 20166

Office: 571-434-1319
Fax: 703-333-6749