RE: Prob with dynDNS on isa-server

  • From: "Ash Ridley" <ash.ridley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:35:44 -0000

Wil,

I use EasyDNS with the DynSite program without any problems, obviously
this isnt quite the same but I'll throw you a couple of suggestions. I
recommend you check out DynSite as it supports many different dynamic
DNS providers and may give you an alternatice if it supports DynDNS. I
dont have the URL to hand, try entering it in google or its linked from
www.easydns.com under their dynamic DNS pages.

I didnt need to configure a specific port for the update, so I'm
assuming mine uses the DNS packet filter to get out (either that or port
80). However I also originally had a connection error and the problem
turned out to be that I hadnt done everything to my DNS account settings
that I needed to (in EasyDNS' case I had to enable dynamic updated (as
they also do static DNS) and setup the first A record to be updated).
Also EasyDNS only support one update every 10 minutes (even if it fails
to update) depending on how connected you are getting you might find a
genuine config error is causing subsequent attempts to fail even if you
then get the config correct (check with DynDNS to find out how often
they support updates). Fortunately EasyDNS also supports a web browser
based javascript updated so I used that to see if it was a config
problem at their end or with Dynsite.

Another gotcha I found (dont know if it applies to DynDNS). It caused
problems for me if I had more than one A record (I believe each A record
expects a separate update from your software), since I only have one IP
address it was easier to set up all the other names as alias' to one A
record, then I could just issue a 'domain level' IP address update and
all the alias' would fall into line without requiring separate updates.

HTH

Ash