[isalist] Possibly OT: Websense, ISA server (proxy mode) and blocking protocols

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <Andrew.Hodgson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:28:52 +0000

Hi,

We have the following configuration:

1 ISA Server 2006 machine running proxy services, and KAV for ISA.  This
runs the Websense plugin.

1 Websense policy/reporting server running Websense Enterprise.

The ISA server contacts the Websense machine for policy information etc.
This works fine for blocking web pages, but I have some other protocols
(mainly LogMeIn and Google) which are still getting through.

I installed the Websense Network agent on the ISA server machine, which
is stopping such items as Youtube videos, and some streaming media, but
the above two applications – LogMeIn and Google Chat are still getting
through.

The firewall is only allowing port 80, 443 and 21 outbound from the ISA
server, and users do not have access to outside ports through the
firewall, so I know that the access is going through this proxy server.

Is there anything I can do about this?  I am not allowed to integrate
Websense in with the firewall, which is why I am using the ISA
server/proxy route.

Thanks.

Andrew.

--

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone,
Hereford, HR1 3SE.

Registered in England No. 02933191. UK VAT Reg. No. 666 9148 88.

Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041.

Website: www.allpay.net

Email: enquiries@xxxxxxxxxx

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you
have received this email in error please notify the allpay.net Information
Security Manager at the number above.