Re: Possible newbie mistake...publishing

  • From: "nu be" <nube04mc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:42:27 -0400

Thanks. Forgot that I had made a change to the website in IIS for testing and forgot to change it back. Both sites appear to be working now.
Thanks

From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [isalist] Re: Possible newbie mistake...publishing
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:19:41 -0700

http://www.ISAserver.org

#1 - don't test publishing rules from inside.
#2 - the data in teh destination set MUST account for any valid method the external user may request from the site. If you intend to support "www.domain.tld", then the destination set must include "www.domain.tld".
#3 - Do not use the protocol prefix *http://, ftp://) in teh destination set domain data
#4 - for testing purposes, leave teh path field blank. Once you get a connection through ISA, you can limit it to valid paths on your web server.
#5 - 12202 is specific to a destination-based rule failure; your request is not matching any "allowed" destination

HTH,

  Jim Harrison
  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:30:29 -0400 "nu be" <nube04mc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: http://www.ISAserver.org

Thanks

I'm testing this from inside my network. On the external interface of the ISA server I have an IP for the server itself, one that points to the web server and one that points to the mail server. This makes a total of 3 static IP's on the external interface.
The "redirect location" in the web publishing rules is the IP of the internal web server, which is seperate from the ISA server. I have 2 web sites that I'm trying to publish right now so I've created a destination set and web publishing rule for each site. I wasn't sure about the path because each site is usually accessible by typing their names:
www.nusolutions.biz
www.nubiint.com

but for the sake of testing I added "/index.html" as the path for nusolutions and "/*." for nubiint. This in itself is confusing because if I type in www.nusolutions.biz I get the following error:
403 Forbidden - The server denies the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server administrator. (12202)
Internet Security and Acceleration Server

If I type www.nusolutions.biz/index.html I get the following page not found error:
HTTP 400 - Bad Request
Internet Explorer

This is the same for the other site. Users normally can just type the names without the /index.html to access the home page of the sites.
Using the "Troubleshooting_Web_Publishing" doc it states that this could be a web publishing or IIS issue. I don't have IIS installed and running on the ISA server so I'm assuming the problem is either with IIS on the web server itself or something else related to the rule so I proceed down the checklist as follows:
1. Does the Web site name on the Internet resolve to an IP address on ISA Server computer?s external network adapter?
I had the ISP point my host records to 205.179.209.100 and this is what the websites resolve to on the internet. I also added this IP to the external interface of the ISA server.

2. Is the value in the destination set used in the Web publishing rule the same as what a user would type into a browser?
The value destination for each site is as follows:
www.nusolutions.biz
www.nubiint.com

3. In the Action tab of a Web publishing rule, is the internal server specified by the IP address or the fully qualified domain name (FQDN)?
The internal server is specified by IP.

4. Is the destination set name identical to the FQDN of the hosted Web server?
Nope! It's set to the IP.

5. Are the SSL bridging settings appropriate for your Web publishing setup?
Not using SSL

6. Is there a routing rule that redirects to an upstream server requests for the Web publishing destination set (or requests for all destination sets)?
Not really sure but if they're referring to the publishing rule then it redirects to the internal web server.

7. Are you requiring authentication on both the ISA Server computer and the Web server?
Nope.

8. Can Web responses bypass ISA Server when returned to the external client?
Running tracert www.nusolutions.biz on the web server returns the following:

C:\>tracert www.nusolutions.biz

Tracing route to nusolutions.biz [205.179.209.100]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  205-179-209-100.client.dsl.net
[205.179.209.100]

Trace complete.

C:\>

At this point I could use some more input on troubleshooting this issue.
Any responses are appreciated.
Thanks

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx