RE: Pocket PC vs Blackberry (off topic)

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:16:23 -0500

Hi Raj,

I've been using PocketPC/Windows Mobile 2003 for over a year now. Its
really great. I've rolled this out for serveral people and they really
like it a lot too, especially with their Windows Mobile 2003 enabled
SmartPhones. Some of the phones are very nice, such as this one that
I'll get if I ever win the lottery :-)

http://communications.siemens.com/cds/frontdoor/0,2241,us_en_0_76051_rAr
NrNrNrN,00.html

Making it work is very easy. I have a Windows Mobile Kit that I
comissioned an Exchange expert to help me with for the Exchange/Windows
Mobile part , but I've never got around to posting it on ISAserver.org.
Maybe I'll just post the Word docs on my site if anyone is interested
(it takes forever sometimes to get the articles properly formatted for
the ISAserver.org Web site).

Also, with the SmartPhones, you can use either the 802.11 connection or
GSM to connect to the ActiveSync and OMA sites. Publishing the sites
using the ISA firewall is extremely simple, although you will need two
IP addresses on the external interface of the ISA firewall to make it
work, since you can't use the same listener you use for OWA publishing
if you want to use the ISA firewall's forms-based auth for the OWA Web
Publishing Rule. Well, sort of, you can use the Kai Wilke method at
http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/2004pubowamobile.html If you're
well-versed on PKI and how certificate auth works with ISA, its actually
quite simple to do. If you're not, run through the article in your test
lab first. The procedure is solves the problem of having a single IP
address for RPC/HTTP as well. However, if you're running a business,
then you probably have a block of public addresses.

HTH,
Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder
http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7