Pocket PC vs Blackberry (off topic)

  • From: "Periyasamy, Raj" <Raj.Periyasamy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:13:44 -0400

Hi List,
Sorry, this is an off topic question,

I know many of you either implemented and/or are using some sort of a
handheld device solution for your clients or organizations. We are
currently evaluating a handheld solution for our mobile marketing team
folks. We have had Blackberry Enterprise server since Exchange 5.5, and
was used only by 5 users, since it was a pilot. I never liked the
Blackberry ES very much, mainly due to the way it accesses the user
mailbox and does mail forwarding through a third network, compared to a
pocket PC with Outlook, which does a real synchronization using Outlook
Mobile Activesync directly with the Exchange 2003 server using the same
infrastructure as OWA/RPCoHTTP. I am very impressed with RPC over HTTP
that we are currently using, and hope OMA Sync will give the same
reliability and performance. In case of a pocket PC the email does not
flow through a third party server, and Pocket PC does not depend on a
particular network/mobile provider for coverage. It can get to Internet
wherever there is an accessible Wi-Fi hotspot. I feel Pocket PCs are
more safer, since they will use the same authentication methodology
required by a laptop user to connect to our network. Apart from these,
what is the popular opinion of you folks when it comes to a hand held
device solution. I would appreciate any inputs or pointers.

Thank you in advance.

HTH.
Regards,
Raj Periyasamy