POP3 & SMTP

  • From: "arun prasadh" <mrarunprasadh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:50:10 +0530

Please help me in resolving the problem that i am facing with the ISA Server.

I need your Help in configuring the access to my Internal /DMZ Network from
Internet. We have a ISA FW protecting our Network.

My Internal Network uses a Private Address Range and my DMZ has legal
address.

I have created Protocol Rules to control my internal net users accessing the
Internet.

I have created two Client Address Sets
Net Users - Who can only Browse the internet , I have enabled HTTP , DNS
for them
Power User - Who can Browse , Download, FTP, Telnet , Send / Receive Mails
. - We have enabled HTTP, FTP,DNS,Telnet, POP3,SMTP

Now I want to create another Client Address Set and assign to a Protocol rule - who can send and receive SMTP mails only. The Mail Server is on the Internet.They should not browse , FTP, Telnet..

I tried creating a new protocol rule to allow the POP3 and SMTP traffic. It
didn't work , only w! hen I add HTTP to it I am able to send and receive
mails.

My doubt is whether I should have a IP Packet Filter also which should allow
internal traffic to my internal clients.

We have a Basic Doubt , my understanding is the IP Packet Filters are used
to control the inward traffic / access. I have problems like when the FW
service is enabled the packet filter doesn't work. Only if I disable/ stop
the FW service the Packet filter works. My understanding is the FW service
should always be enabled.

Can someone clarify the
1.Whether the FW Service should be stopped for Packet Filters to Work
2.How do i create a Packet Filter / Protocol Rule for my Internal Net work
users to send and receive POP3/SMTP mail from the Mail Servers on the
Internet. ( My Internal Network uses Outlook 2K to send and receive POP3 /
SMTP Mails)

Pls help me in resolvin! g the above issues.

Thanks and Regards

Arun.M