[isalist] Re: Outgoing VPN...

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:12:48 -0800

You can't authenticate outbound VPN because:
1. VPN traffic is not handled by the web proxy
2. the ISA FWC is required to authenticate non-web proxy traffic
3. the ISA FWC only handles TCP and UDP and that only for traffic processed by
Winsock
4. PPTP includes IP-47 (GRE), which is neither TCP nor UDP

Thus, you can't authenticate PPTP traffic.