Offtopic ( a bit)

  • From: "Mark Strangways" <strangconst@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:14:12 -0500

I am troubled by my internal LAN going down.
It seems that every so often I will return to find the LAN down.
Both my Laptop and Server NICs are running ok (appears to be), but the
communication across the network falls flat on it's face.
I am using the exact same NIC's in my Server as before my AMD motherboard
smoked one of the main power transistors in the power stage.

I have now ( three weeks ago) dug out an old PIII 677 MB and CPU.
I am using Windows 2003 std edition, along with IAS2004 (which now that I am
accustomed to it, I love it).
I have swapped previous known good NICs and had them fail after a period of
time.
So, any ideas ?
I may swap the power supplies as it may have caused the AMD MB to smoke or it
was damaged in the failure.

You may reply offlist if you wish.

Thanks,
Mark S