RE: OWA and spammers

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:32:38 -0500

Hi Joseph,

Congrats!!!

From: josephk [mailto:josephk@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 6:08 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] RE: OWA and spammers

http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi there,

I finally have it setup.

I have my SMTP mail coming in via one line and going to a forwarder that
then Sends to my backend EXCHANGE box. Things are authenticated between
the forwarder and The exchange box.  When I send out from exchange,
exchange sends to a forwarder on an outgoing line And that sends out the
mail. Seems to work for both OWA and standard SMTP.

A test link can be used to help test: http://www.zoneedit.com/smtp.html

Thank you,

Joseph

From: G. Waleed Kavalec <kavalec@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:45:23 -0500
Subject: OWA and spammers
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues <exchangelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I had one person out sick who wanted access to their email (bedridden
and bored).

So I turned on OWA and ran the OWA publication wizard on our MS-ISA
firewall. Couple of tweaks and it was up.

Two days later our ISP tells me we are spamming. SLAM!  I shut down OWA
and the problem stops.

So... The next time I want to turn this beast on, what do I need to look
for?  What "hole" in OWA makes this possible?

~ NEW: SNSI V1.5: Security Scan by IP, Port or Service - Multiplatform ~
 ~          <http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=987>
~