Re: OT: virus in list

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:59:19 -0700

Here y'go!

Date: Thu,  5 Jun 2003 02:32:08 -0500
From: "Postmaster" <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Your mail server sent us a virus

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver
 http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison
 http://isatools.org

 Read the help, books and articles!
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Tolmachoff (Lists)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 16:46
Subject: [isalist] Re: OT: virus in list

http://www.ISAserver.org

> Odd; I haven't seen anything from you (yet?)...

That is because mine is set up correctly and not using those so-called top
notch AV scanners that charge both arms and both legs and wanted the nose
too, ah, but that is another topic.

> What you see is what I got.

I need the headers of the notice so I can ID the admin.

> The smartassed remark at the end of his autoresponder was just icing on
the
> turd.

Why do you think I recognized it? Here is an excerpt from my notice to the
postmaster of mail server of the sending domain:
"The Declude software on our mail server (v.%VERSION%) detected the
%VIRUSNAME% virus that appears to have come through your mail server
(%REMOTEIP%). It was sent in an attachment %VIRUSFILE%, from %MAILFROM%
to %ALLRECIPS%, with the subject "%SUBJECT%".  The Message-ID was: %MSGID%.

If your mail server had virus protection, it would have caused less work for
our server and would have likely prevented one of your users from getting a
virus in the first place, or from spreading it!

Please note that some viruses forge the headers. If you are sure that the
e-mail
noted above did not come from your server and the virus listed is known to
forge
headers, you may safely choose to disregard this notice."

I have posted that on the forum for that software a couple of times as an
example. Others use one that is toned down a bit. BTW, that is my wording,
not some one elses. That is why I would like to correct that admin.

They do not have the forged configuration set.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You
www.eservicesforyou.com