RE: OT: WiFi security article...

  • From: Alexandre Gauthier <gauthiera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:26:49 -0500

The only valid points he touches are SSL and crypto. The rest are indeed
just gizmos and alternatives, even though his preferences are directly in
line with mine, I hardly call this an impartial, informative article. While
it does allows people to see that there *are* alternatives, which is what I
am all about, it hardly allows them to make a choice by themselves but
rather says "Use these instead because the other suck" without really adding
anything except vulnerability records, which users usually don't care that
much about in my experience.

But then again, the title was not "Software I want you to use because it's
cool" but rather "Wireless Security", no?

>Hotmail offers a "secure mode" that uses SSL, but by default you login at
>an insecure http page, just like you do with Yahoo! - which isn't good. For

>either service you can click on the tiny "Sign in using enhanced security"
>or "Submit over SSL" link that most people will never see, but why should
>anyone have to?

This is kinda true. I wonder why they don't use SSL by default.

It probably has to do with the fact that Hotmail has many servers in its
farm are using a certificate signed by a CA that neither I nor my browser
recognize or even trust... "Microsoft Certificate Authority" is hardly
enough to convince me.