RE: OT: Why Friends Don't Let Friends use RBLs

  • From: "Anthony Michaud" <anthonym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:34:36 +1000

Bayesian filtering is still to "iffy" for my liking.  There is a greater risk
of "false positives" and the dynamic's of spam change frequently enough to
avoid filtering (for periods of time).

Finding a few good quality ORDB's has meant that I'm blocking ~35% of all
email's - spam still gets through, but its significantly lower and there is no
chance of a 'false positive'.  To compensate for known clients having a listing
on one or more of the ORDB's, we white list all known correspondence with a
dump from the CRM product we use (automating this is a 'to-do').

As we initiate new business, we send the first email, its in our database (or
should be if staff follow correct procedure) so its white listed.  Nothing
important is blocked.

Show me a Bayesian filter with a proven track record of no false positives and
I may think about looking at it - but I probably won't - the system I'm using
ain't broke, so I'm not going to fix it :)

Anthony.