[isalist] Re: OT: What temperature do you run your server room at?

  • From: "Ray Dzek" <Ray.Dzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:41:36 -0800

Spot coolers can cost you more to operate, not less.  The heat extracted
by the spot cooler has to go someplace.  Sure, you are cooling data
center room air and blowing the chilled air into a rack.  But the spot
cooler is still blowing the extracted heat out the top + the additional
heat generated by the spot cooler itself.  If you have one of the larger
units, you may be expelling the hot air into your plenum space above the
T-bar, or out into your office space where the building AC has to now
work harder to remove the heat you are pumping out of the data center.
They are awesome as a stop-gap, or temporary solution.  But they are not
a replacement for a properly configured cooling system.

Thermodynamics - It's the law.

P.S.  - We keep our room around 75.

P.S.S. - Take the Watts for the room.  If you have a whole room UPS just
take the KVA output from your UPS meters and multiply by the Power
Factor for you UPS (Usually .7 to .9) to give you total Kilowatts.  Take
the total Kilowatts * 0.283 = Approximate Tons of Cooling needed for
your data center.

KVA * PF = KW

KW * 0.283 = Approximate Tons of AC

Or if you know how many watts then it is Watts * .000283 = Cooling Tons

Kind regards,

Ray Dzek

Network Operations

Specialized Bicycle Components