Re: OT Slightly: Exchange 2000

  • From: "Thor" <thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:50:26 -0700

Hi Stephena- I have this exact setup... The DMZ is what you want to make
attackers get through in order to GET to Active Directory... Not only is
EX2k a nice price to get from a DMZ breech, the ports you would have to open
up (assuming it contains mailboxes) to allow client access from the LAN
would be far too dangerous.

I highly recommend a DMZ SMTP-Gateway that will accept SMTP from the
external ISA box, scan for viruses and strip attachments, that then
smart-hosts the mail to the perimeter ISA that publishes to the internal
EX2k box.  Something like this-

Net -> Ext ISABox -> SMTP Server Publishing to DMZ SMTP Gateway -> DMZ SMTP
Gateway Actions -> Smart Host delivery acto perimeter ISA IP Address ->
Server Published to Internal EX2k.

With SMTP filtering on the ISA boxes.

My .02 anyway...