OT: IPsec filtering vs RRAS filtering

  • From: "Aaron Spurlock" <aarons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:53:29 -0600

I have looked and looked for a "definitive" answer to this question and
can't seem to find one. I am wondering what the "best" choice is for basic
filtering on a webhosting box running Windows 2000 without ISA Server.

My first inclination says RRAS packet filtering is the obvious choice for
creating a firewall on a W2K box, and I've done with with success on a
customer box that didn't want to purchase any other firewall software or
hardware. But then I started searching the Internet and reading...

...and most of the articles/tutorials/testimonials I find talk about IPsec
filtering to perform this function! So now I am trying to get opinions on
each method and see which one works best. Is it 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of
another?

Thanks!