RE: OT: Hardware vs. Software?

  • From: "Quillman Shawn (RBNA/CSA1) *" <Shawn.Quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:01:47 -0500

Without getting into too much detail..  In general, and I'm not saying
this is the case for ALL, hardware firewalls are not much more than
glorified packet filters whereas many software firewalls include
application level stateful inspection.  The big difference is that
packet filters operate at the transport level (ie- the tcp level)
whereas application inspection happens at the application level (ie-
http, ftp, smtp, etc).

Then you have to consider the multitude of definitions that are out
there for "firewall".  Someones ACL router to them could be defined as
their firewall....  I don't agree but that's just me.

-----
Robert Bosch Corporation
Technical Systems Analyst (RBNA/CSA1)
Corporate Sales Reporting Systems
38000 Hills Tech Drive - Farmington Hills, MI 48331 - USA
phone: 1 (248) 876-1164    fax: 1 (248) 876-6969
shawn.quillman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.bosch.us <http://www.bosch.us/>

  _____