RE: OT: Fire suppression in server room

  • From: "Tiago de Aviz" <Tiago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:15:49 -0200

Now this is a "macho" manager ;)

He really believes in the backups!

Tiago de Aviz
SoftSell - Curitiba
(41) 3340-2363
www.softsell.com.br

Esta mensagem, incluindo seus anexos, tem caráter confidencial e seu
conteúdo é restrito ao destinatário da mensagem. Caso você tenha
recebido esta mensagem por engano, queira por favor retorná-la ao
destinatário e apagá-la de seus arquivos. Qualquer uso não autorizado,
replicação ou disseminação desta mensagem ou parte dela é expressamente
proibido. A SoftSell não é responsável pelo conteúdo ou a veracidade
desta informação.

>>> gauthiera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 22/12/2005 17:18 >>>

http://www.ISAserver.org

I miss Halon systems. They're illegal here now -- but damn that was
effective. Plus, you could give the excuse for a crash: "Someone was
smoking
in the server room and the halon system killed the engineers."

Plus, watching the thing go off was always impressive, it was like, end
of
the world, the room shutting down with big red spinning lights, a
nuclear
warning sound. The "pressure" change (I'm not sure what it was) would
cause
the elevated floor tiles to pop out of their sockets. Damn sweet.

Here we use sprinklers. Water. UPSes are not being shut down either.
The
conversation with the IT manager here went somewhat like this:

-"Hey, I was wondering, what's the fire suppression system here like?"
-"Sprinklers."
-"Okay, what chemical agent, out of curiosity?"
-"Water"
-"... will the power shut off first?"
-"No."
-"... uh... that's not exactly effective, you know?"
-"Yes, it is."
-"Where's the safety feature? I mean, you know, I'd rather seeing the
server
racks burn, rather then short and *then* burn."
-"Oh it's there. Called insurance and off site tape backups."

I walked back to my office wondering if working for that company really
was
a good idea after all. Next thing I'll know, if my office catches on
fire,
they'll have stealth operatives shooting me in the head to spare me the
pain
of burning.