RE: OT: Fire suppression in server room

  • From: Alexandre Gauthier <gauthiera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:18:17 -0500

I miss Halon systems. They're illegal here now -- but damn that was
effective. Plus, you could give the excuse for a crash: "Someone was smoking
in the server room and the halon system killed the engineers."

Plus, watching the thing go off was always impressive, it was like, end of
the world, the room shutting down with big red spinning lights, a nuclear
warning sound. The "pressure" change (I'm not sure what it was) would cause
the elevated floor tiles to pop out of their sockets. Damn sweet.

Here we use sprinklers. Water. UPSes are not being shut down either. The
conversation with the IT manager here went somewhat like this:

-"Hey, I was wondering, what's the fire suppression system here like?"
-"Sprinklers."
-"Okay, what chemical agent, out of curiosity?"
-"Water"
-"... will the power shut off first?"
-"No."
-"... uh... that's not exactly effective, you know?"
-"Yes, it is."
-"Where's the safety feature? I mean, you know, I'd rather seeing the server
racks burn, rather then short and *then* burn."
-"Oh it's there. Called insurance and off site tape backups."

I walked back to my office wondering if working for that company really was
a good idea after all. Next thing I'll know, if my office catches on fire,
they'll have stealth operatives shooting me in the head to spare me the pain
of burning.