[isalist] Re: OT: Diagnosing a network problem

  • From: "Mayo, Bill" <bemayo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:24:52 -0400

The only downside to spanning-tree is that while it is in discovery
mode, the ports block.  This amounts to about 30 seconds where no
traffic will go through a port while it discovers loops and disables
ports that would cause them.  Again on Cisco switches, you can set
portfast on ports that you KNOW will only have client computers to
eliminate this blocking period.  Those are the ports where you would
also want to BDPUguard.