RE: No responses on "Problem with ISA Server on SBS 2000"

  • From: "Wayne Small" <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:25:34 +1100

Elliott,

Sounds confusing.  Sorry if this sounds condescending but it's easier to
explain it the way it should work.
External NIC connected to Router
External NIC has gateway set to Routers IP
Internal NIC is connected to internal LAN
Internal NIC has NO gateway
DHCP has gateway pointing to Internal NIC on SBS server
Run the ICW - choose full time connection and specify the external routers IP
address, External DNS etc

The all clients should be able to surf the web from behind the SBS box.

Some programs may have problems connecting to the web until you modify the
default Site and Content rule and the Default Protocol rules - check the
following rules and go to their applies to tab -you need to modify it from the
domain based group to any request.
backoffice Internet Access Protocol Rule
Backoffice Internet Access Site and Content Rule
This is due to the fact that NAV etc does not run under the context of a user
account and therefore can not be a member of a group.

If NAV is on the server then you need to specify 127.0.0.1 and port 8080 and
use the administrators ID and password for authentication.

These few items have normally resolved most issues for internet access on my
sites.
Not sure about your BSOD's though - sbs is pretty darn reliable and I only have
one site with BSOD's and it's a hardware issue.

Regards,
Wayne Small  [SBS-MVP]
MCSE+I  MCSE 2000
Technical Director - Correct Solutions Pty Ltd
For all the answers on Small Business Server 2000 - check out www.sbsfaq.com
<http://www.sbsfaq.com/>