RE: Newbie: ISA Proxy: automatic client configuration : questions

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:28:34 -0500

Hi Srihari,

Inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: srihari raghavan [mailto:srihari.raghavan@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 5:31 PM
To: [ISAserver.org Discussion List]
Subject: [isalist] Newbie: ISA Proxy: automatic client configuration :
questions

http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi all
    For one of our clients, we are setting up a satellite (hub-spoke)
network that has a ISA server working as a proxy server in the hub
network.  We have the following network conditions.

    a. We do not have control of the DNS servers.  Essentially this
network is like a access network between the ISPs and the client PCs
behind the satellite remote terminals.  DHCP may be used, but some
client sites may be configured by static addresses.  So, WPAD automatic
configuration via DNS or DHCP may not be doable
TOM: If you can't use DNS wpad, then you'll have to use DHCP and users
will all need to log on as local admins..

    b. We need to have the ISA server in our hub side of the network.
We cannot move it further head end to ISP networks.
TOM: OK.

    c. We cannot load firewall client software on the client PCs, due to
administrative restrictions.
TOM: That's unfortuante. It almost dumbs down the ISA firewall to the
low level of security you get with a common PIX.

    d. We need a way for IE browsers ( any browser, in general, if
possible) in the client PCs to learn about the proxy server address
without explicitly configuring it on the IE browsers.
TOM: That's what WPAD entries in DNS and DHCP are for. You could also
use Group Policy, which is a very effective way to automatically
configuring client browsers.

    e. Since this is an access network, it is definitely possible, that
different remote client sites, may belong to different ISPs and so there
may be different domains etc.
TOM: Clients then will need to be explicitly configured. Configuring the
Web Proxy is a lot easier than learning how to get dressed in the
morning :-),

    What we want to do is that the client PCs should know automatically
that the ISA server in the hub network is the proxy server for Internet
access.  Is this doable under all these constraints?
TOM: You have a lot of options, but the best option is to manually
configure the proxy. You can use Reg files if you want too.
HTH,
Tom

Thank you
Sri