Newbie: ISA Proxy: automatic client configuration : questions

  • From: srihari raghavan <srihari.raghavan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:31:22 -0400

Hi all
    For one of our clients, we are setting up a satellite (hub-spoke)
network that has a ISA server working as a proxy server in the hub
network.  We have the following network conditions.

    a. We do not have control of the DNS servers.  Essentially this
network is like a access network between the ISPs and the client PCs
behind the satellite remote terminals.  DHCP may be used, but some
client sites may be configured by static addresses.  So, WPAD
automatic configuration via DNS or DHCP may not be doable.

    b. We need to have the ISA server in our hub side of the network.
We cannot move it further head end to ISP networks.

    c. We cannot load firewall client software on the client PCs, due
to administrative restrictions.

    d. We need a way for IE browsers ( any browser, in general, if
possible) in the client PCs to learn about the proxy server address
without explicitly configuring it on the IE browsers.

    e. Since this is an access network, it is definitely possible,
that different remote client sites, may belong to different ISPs and
so there may be different domains etc.,

    What we want to do is that the client PCs should know
automatically that the ISA server in the hub network is the proxy
server for Internet access.  Is this doable under all these
constraints?

Thank you
Sri