RE: New to the list and new to ISA - comparison

  • From: "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:31:48 -0700

> 1) Need to install client software for some protocol support (including
> ICMP);

Not really. Most times the client can be a SecureNAT client. This requires
only have the IP address of ISA as the gateway on the client. In some
situations, yes, the firewall client must be installed.

> 2) Limited attack detection (especially for an Application Layer Gateway);

ISA does a very good job of attack detections. Where do you get the
information that it does not?

> 3) Performance;

I have seen no performance issues depending upon proper configuration of the
base OS and hardware.

> 4) It does not run over a customized OS. (Let's get real... Windows is the
> worst OS to run security applications...)

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you sit on. A properly
configured and hardened Windows 2000 server or even better Windows Server
2003 stands very strong.

Just my thoughts. I am sure the doctor will respond.

John Tolmachoff MCSE CSSA
Engineer/Consultant
eServices For You
www.eservicesforyou.com