[isalist] Re: Network Load Balancing And Network Hardware Recomendations

  • From: "Gerald G. Young" <g.young@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:20:56 -0500

The only times I've seen switches cause issues with NLB is when:

MAC Addresses are hardcoded onto ports.

STP is enabled without portfast and bpduguard.

While NLB in Unicast mode can be problematic for NLB intra-host communication
where you only have one NIC, with the Registry key Microsoft implemented in
W2K3 SP1, you can enable intra-host communication over a single NIC while using
NLB in Unicast mode.

In this particular case, it might be helpful to know what particular switch
problems are attempting to be avoided by sticking a hub in the middle.

Cordially yours,

Jerry G. Young II

Product Engineer - Senior

Platform Engineering, Enterprise Hosting

NTT America, an NTT Communications Company

22451 Shaw Rd.

Sterling, VA 20166

Office: 571-434-1319

Fax: 703-333-6749