[isalist] Re: Network Load Balancing And Network Hardware Recomendations

  • From: "Dave May" <dave.may@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:12:27 -0500

FYI, the key to making multicast work well is to a) enable IGMP multicast in
NLB b) either enable IGMP snooping on your switch(es) or set a static entry.
Note that if your switches do not allow a unicast IP to ARP to a multicast MAC
(if I remember correctly) it isn't going to work right and the traffic will
flood across all ports.  That last part caused me a major headache, which was
only resolved with a great deal of traffic sniffing via WireShark.  Turned out
to be a bug in the switch firmware...

YMMV,

Dave.