RE: Need help with unusual configuration : Clarification

  • From: pip.bennington@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:51:05 +1300

Small clarification for us beginners, you now have 3 NICS in your ISA
Server?

Call it left field, but wouldn't you be better off using a VLAN to protect
those internal servers instead of 2 subnets?
and by using the 2 NICs in ISA, is that like creating a DMZ?

Thanx

                              Pip Bennington

                   E-mail: pip.bennington@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    "Dan Bartley"

                    <bartleyd@xxxxxxxxxx        To:     "[ISAserver.org
Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    rrier.com>                  cc:

                                                Subject:     [isalist] RE: Need
help with unusual configuration
                    06/11/03 15:35

                    Please respond to

                    "[ISAserver.org

                    Discussion List]"

http://www.ISAserver.org
Thank you John.

So, if I understand. No DMZ, 2 internal interfaces and one external
interface that talks to the PIX on a private subnet not in the LAT. It will
let me restrict communication between the internal interfaces, as well as
the external. Will this work if the server subnet does not use ISA as its
gateway? We don't want to restrict the servers from communicating at will,
they just need to be protected, and we prefer to keep them gatewayed
through the PIX for various reasons.

One last question if you do not mind, I am considering replacing my current
win2k VPN server behind another PIX with ISA also acting as a new VPN
server. Will the above allow the VPN connections to talk to both internal
interfaces according to filters I set up?

Best Regards,

Dan Bartley