Need help preparing for ISA install

  • From: "Marvin Cummings" <marvc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ISAserver. org Discussion List'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 03:22:22 -0500

Wondering if I can enlist some help from the list in preparing my network
for ISA 2000 Ent.? I initially tried to follow the quick-guide and the
cache-only dns tutorial but ran into some problems getting internet access
to my secureNAT clients. I found that after installing ISA I had internet
access on the server without having to configure any rules. I also found
that whenever I attempted to nslookup external resources I kept getting DNS
timeout errors. So before I reinstall ISA I want to take a minute and see if
I can get DNS properly configured before proceeding. As of right now I'm
using my linksys with the default configuration. I'm using the Configure ISA
Server Interface Settings tutorial and running into problems after setting
up the interfaces as suggested:

South - Internal Interface first North - External Interface second

North - External Interface:

Uncheck Client for Microsoft Networks & File and Printer Sharing.

Use the following IP address:

IP: 123.123.123.170

Subnet: 255.255.255.248

Gateway: 123.123.123.169

DNS is empty

Click Advanced.

Click DNS tab: uncheck "Register this connection's.

Click WINS tab: uncheck "Enable LMHosts lookup

Select "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Click OK

South - Internal Interface:

Check Client for Microsoft Networks & File and Printer Sharing.

Use the following IP address:

IP: 192.168.1.50

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 0.0.0.0

DNS:

Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.40 - Internal AD DNS server

Click Advanced.

Click DNS tab: check "Register this connection's.

Click WINS tab: uncheck "Enable LMHosts lookup

Select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Click OK

My internal DNS is configured as follows:

Interfaces tab: IP of internal DNS server

Forwarders tab: IP's of BellSouth DNS servers

Secure only selected

Now I create a dial up connection for my DSL account and connect the
external nic cable to my DSL modem. I'm able to connect to the internet and
perform nslookup on internal resources, but when I try to nslookup anything
external I get the following error:

> nslookup bellsouth.net or 205.152.37.254

Server: myserver.mydomain.com

Address: 192.168.1.40

DNS request timed out.

 Timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

 Timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to myserver.mydomain.com timed-out

C:\>

What am I missing here? Prior to this I'm able to nslookup internal and
external resources.

Any responses are appreciated.