RE: Nachi

  • From: Jim Harrison <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:32:35 -0800

Ok, kids; quicherbichin' or I'll turn this alias around and no one will get any
McDonalds tonight..!

Actually, you're both right:
1. DoS is exactly that; misuse a perfectly valid traffic profile to prevent use
of the server; Nachi is built to do this and it succeeds in grand fashion
because ISa is trying to process the traffic.

2. ISA has one big flaw that Nachi, Blaster and other viruses / worms have
taken advantage of; it considers the internal network as fully trusted.  This
has been rethought for the future release, but it can't be changed for ISA2000.

What's the right answer?
Try this to help your ISA withstand the jackasses that can't keep their laptops
clean:

  MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
  http://isaserver.org/Jim_Harrison/
  http://isatools.org
  Read the help / books / articles!

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:06:12 -0800
 "John Tolmachoff \(Lists\)" <johnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
http://www.ISAserver.org

Denying outbound ICMP is that, a rule to deny it from leaving ISA. It will
still receive the request and process it, during which it sees it is not
allowed and blocked.

Do you understand what a Denial Of Service is? It is sending thousands of
requests per second. If you were to have a network monitor on the wire
during that time checking bandwidth used, you would have seen saturation.

John Tolmachoff

Engineer/Consultant/Owner

eServices For You