RE: My little WAN

  • From: <HCALM1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 08:55:51 -0500

Wow! Lots of good info, couple of questions....

I was planning on using RRAS for the connections, should I go ahead and set
everything up unsecured, just to get functional, before I install ISA and
do all the other stuff?

Also, I'm using Ameritech Business DSL at my "main" location. Unfortunately
they support only NAT to give me my real ip address, is that going to
affect IPSec? NAT takes place on the router, unless there's a way to get
around that.

In ISA< I assume I will only have to allow a VPN protocol or port to pass
through, will all the traffic from the VPN be allowed (IPX traffic, game
traffice, file transfers)

I know this is going to be really hard, but I would really like to do it
all to build my skill set. We're all really excited (geeks at heart).

Thanks for all  your help.

Andrew

                    "Gary Anderson"

                    <gary.anderson@w       To:     "[ISAserver.org Discussion
List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    anadoo.fr>             cc:

                                           Subject:     [isalist] RE: My little
WAN
                    01/04/2002 08:04

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    "[ISAserver.org

                    Discussion

                    List]"

http://www.ISAserver.org

I'm sorry didn't read all of thread before.

Ok, here's the deal.  You set up a VPN between your LANs.  I've never tried
to set this up with ISA before but I understand that it would work.  I've
always used Cisco, Watchguard or RRAS.

With a VPN that uses W2K, you can use PPTP or IPsec.  Actually it is L2TP
with IPSec but that's another story.

IPSec creates an encrypted channel between two end points.  The traffic is
encrypted and it is also verified that nothing has been modified.  That
what
you can't use Network Address Translation with IPSec.  You change the
source/destination address, IPSec will detect this and throw out the
packet.
Since the ISA server is your perimeter security device, it is going to go
from ISA Server to ISA Server.

To encrypt the traffic, both ends use an agreed upon method for encryption.
This can be a "shared key" or a certificate.  Shared key is less secure but
it is easier to set up.  Don't worry about someone determining the "shared
key".  It is used to calculate another key.  It is never sent in the clear
during you communication.    In words, don't see it to someone via
unencrypted email while you are trying to set it up.

To avoid a lot of headaches, set up your VPN with PPTP and the change it to
IPSec.  PPTP is a lot easier to set up.  Once it works, try an IPSec with a
shared key.  If you want to use certificates, that's ok but it is harder to
set up.