Re: My ISP prohibit connections to MSN Messenger

  • From: "Accioly, Daniel" <daniel.accioly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:42:22 -0500

Hey Guys,

Just for our information. Here is what happened that day when we were trying
to look at that capcity planning tool available at Microsoft's website:

From: Computerworld
Update: Microsoft.com hit by DOS attack

By SHARON MACHLIS
AUGUST 01, 2003

A denial-of-service attack caused Microsoft.com to be largely unavailable to
users for more than an hour, but a company spokesman says the attack is now
under control.
The problem was a "classic denial-of-service" issue and is not related to
recently reported security holes in Microsoft software (see story), said
Microsoft spokesman Sean Sundwall. MSN sites and service were unaffected,
Sundwall added. The company has contacted law enforcement authorities about
the attack.

Internet Web performance monitoring firm Keynote Systems Inc. found that
starting at 3:37 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time today, "availability took a big
hit," said Eric Siegel, principal Internet analyst. Keynote monitors were
unable to connect to Microsoft.com at all from 3:55 p.m. through 4:40 p.m.,
when the site began to recover.

Microsoft.com is part of the San Mateo, Calif.-based monitoring company's
"Keynote Business 40," representing what are deemed the nation's most
important corporate Web sites. Keynote monitors the index from 25 major U.S.
metropolitan areas. Keynote didn't observe performance problems at other
sites in the index.

Microsoft.com had 54.6 million unique visitors in June 2003, reaching
approximately 37% of U.S. Internet users, according to figures from ComScore
Networks Inc.

Regards

Daniel