RE: Motivation for ISA2004

  • From: "Ball, Dan" <DBall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:31:07 -0400

1. You are correct; it is a whole new version.

2. Yes, but it also comes with its own specialized version of MSDE.

3. I don't know how it will react, but with it's own customized version
of MSDE, you shouldn't really need to use an actual SQL server.  I
recall some previous discussions about accessing the database, and aside
from the bit about it creating a new database for each day, you can
treat it just like a normal SQL database.

4. The whole policy/rule concept is entirely different in ISA2004, and
will require a whole different approach to creating rules.  However, in
ISA2004, it finally makes sense just by looking at it!

5. Like any other major program, upgrades are never recommended; fresh
install is the best way to go.

6. See Tom's reply on this one...