RE: More questions [01] on the Dual WAN Xincom XC-DPG602 with ISA in DMZ (inbound failover and load balancing)

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:34:44 -0600

Hi Alan,

It does work, but its not a no-brainer to configure.  It's a hardware
implementation that provides a feature set similar to what RainConnect
provides, but isn't quite as robust in its feature set and definitely
many time more difficult to configure.

You'll need to bind your public addresses to the external interface of
the Xincom and then port forward from there and bind a similar number of
addresses on the ISA firewall's external interface, depending on what
you're trying to accomplish.

The Xincom v. RainConnect comparison reminds me of the Windows v. Linux
debate. Linux is a lot cheaper as long as your time isn't worth anything
;-)

(TNSTAAFL == There's no such thing as a free Linux)

HTH,

Tom
www.isaserver.org/shinder
http://tinyurl.com/3xqb7
MVP -- ISA Firewalls

From: "Andrew English" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:17:39 -0500

Alan,

I use a Linksys BESF41 to get my connection from my ISP. All I had to do
was port forward all the ports 1 to 65535 to the ISA box along with
opening DMZ for argument sake.

The problem you are going to have with the twin WAN's if that you have
to keep in mind what goes out must come in. So what goes out on ISP1
must come back on ISP1 otherwise you can return information will get
lost. The XC-DPG602 is great for internal load balancing but that's
about it. They work the same way as NexLand routers which are now
Symantec VPN200's.

Andrew

+++

Subject: RE: Topic: Twin WAN Gateway Xincom XC-DPG602 (load balancing)
with ISA2000 as DMZ internal firewall
From: Troy Radtke <TRadtke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:14:07 -0600

Should work something like this regardless of brand:

connection 1---|
                        |---NLB---firewall/proxy---internal network
connection 2---|

The NLB is the DG of your firewall/proxy system.  You can infinitely
expand the front end to the max capacity of your NLB system.  The
firewall/proxy only cares that it has a DG that it can reach.  However
the return path
goes is completely up to the NLB and has no effect on the
firewall/proxy.

The NLB is completely unaware of the internal networks/DMZs behind the
firewall/proxy system.  It only cares that something on the backend is
there for it to talk to and be its DG if it needs one.

Good luck.

+++

with ISA2000 as DMZ internal firewall
From: "Ray" <rdzek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:37:00 -0800

If it is DNS based (which looking at the website for it is looks like it
is), you have to make significant changes to your DNS environment to get
everything to work.  So, yes, the load balancer becomes the gateway as
all DNS requests are handled by the DPG602 in real-time depending on
current network traffic perameters that you set up in the device... AND
all the traffic from both connections is routed through the DGP602 to
ensure all

the traffic is properly routed to both connections.

We use the Radware Linkproof.  It works very much the same way.  It is
all quite complicated, and requires coordination between you, whoever
does
your DNS, and the vendor.

Your DNS will look something like:

This tells anyone requesting your www site that they have to go as
NameServer DGP1, or DSP2 (your new device) how to find you.

www        NS        DGP1
www        NS        DPP2

DGP1        A        IP address of first link
DGP2        A        IP address of second link

These DNS entries have to work both inside and outside your company if
you are running a seperate internal DNS server.

When requests come in for your www.stadiumflowers.com site, the DPG602
becomes the DNS authority and using its magic determines which route it
wants the request to come over the DSL, or the cable modem.  It then
also routes the traffic from both connections.  This is why it has to be
your gateway, as it is routing the traffic for both connections.

Ray Dzek
Network Operations Supervisor
Specialized Bicycle Components
PH:  408-782-5420