Mixed Authentication Environment

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:50:07 -0500

Hello,

I would like to setup a "mixed" environment of ISA firewall clients and
Secure NET Clients. The goal is to control access based on which user has
logged onto The firewall client machines without having the secure NAT
clients affected.

After reading through
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html

In the section on user authentication rules: The article describes the
behavior of rules when the user can not be authenticated which is the case
for Secure Net Clients. What I am having trouble with is that unless I force
all users to authenticate the Rules that have restrictions placed on them
don't work. In other words it appears that the users must be validated in
order for them to work. Forcing validation by setting all users my
authenticate fixes the ISA Firewall Clients but breaks the Secure Net
Clients.

Is there a way to create and All unauthenticated users rule set and make it
an exception to a rule in ISA2004?

Is there some way to apply a rule to someone who has presented credentials
but has not necessarily been validated? (Yes I know this would be really weak
security its just a question).

Is there a way to validate a computer account for Secure Net Clients?   I
guess if I fixed the IP address of all of these then I could make them
exceptions to a rule or could I ?  Client IP is evaluated before user
correct?

Thanks

Bill