[isalist] Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-049 - Importan t: Vulnerab ility in Virtual PC and Virtual Server Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (937986)

  • From: Jagathese Gnana <Jagathese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:12:25 +0200

Thanks a million for the info.

  _____

From: Thor (Hammer of God) [mailto:thor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 3:25 PM
To: isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [isalist] Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-049 - Important:
Vulnerab ility in Virtual PC and Virtual Server Could Allow Elevation of
Privilege (937986)

Not, not *only* two options... there's always other things one could do...

Publishing would not necessarily expose servers to the Internet- rules could
limit access to the source network on the other end.  What we really need is
a better idea of what services you need from the ISA protected network.  Is
the goal to get "full internal access" of the ISA protected network?  You
said that you attempted to change the network relationship to ROUTE from
NAT- is that to say that the internal IP range is a reachable, routable
network?  And why tunnel to the Fortigate box when you have ISA? Why not
just VPN into ISA as others have said?  Using VPN network rules would be far
more secure than an IPSec tunnel where a full stack would be available
between the two networks.   But if you like the added security of an IPSec
tunnel between the branches, then yes, you could simply VPN inside the IPSec
tunnel to ISA and not worry about publishing scenarios (as it relates to the
branch office).

It all depends on what your topology is like-- is the ISA box reachable on
the network, or is it "private" behind the Fortigate box?  If private, you
could indeed use a ROUTE relationship and access rules to accomplish what
you want.  Need more infoz ;)