Memory Consumption Of SQL Server

  • From: "Wayne Berry" <wayne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:23:59 -0700

ISAList,

I have a dedicated Windows 2003/ ISA 2004 (One Gig of RAM) machine and the
SQL server process is consuming the entire RAM on the machine and even some
swap space on the disk.  I turned caching on a couple of days ago, however
turned it off yesterday to try to get my RAM back.  Couple of questions:

1)       Is the caching done by the SQL Server process?

2)       Does ISA 2004 usually cache so much in RAM that it consumes the
entire RAM on the machine?

3)       If the issue is caching why doesn't turning caching off clear the
SQL server RAM?  I did specify to have ISA Server restart after turning
caching off.

-Wayne