[isalist] Re: Lost VPN and FTP out of the blue...

  • From: Jim Harrison <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:55:55 +0000

Tom,

Using WMI across the network to an ISA Server is a failed exercise because
remote WMI requires DCOM and ISA doesn't support that protocol.
I'd advise that you break these problems out into segments and t/s them
separately. They may end up being a common problem, but you can't chase
multiple cats at once.

1.       What warning or error events do you find in the system and application
event logs?

2.       What exactly did you to when you "enabled ping"? Where was the client
you used for the test?

3.       For the VPN problem, 678 is the client saying that it couldn't connect
to the VPN server. Does netstat show anything listening on port 1723?  Do you
have any event log entries from RRAS complaining about an inability to
establish PPTP listeners?

4.       For the all traffic problems, use the ISA live logging while testing
that application - what do the logs say about this test?

Jim