Re: Logging to SQL Server

  • From: "cismic" <cismic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:30:59 -0700

Actually, the setup below works great! However, I still don't like writing
directly to the SQL machines.
I setup ISA to save into the follow and have created a structure like this:

\\ISALOGS
\\ISALOGS\PACKET\
\\ISALOGS\FIREWALL\
\\ISALOGS\PROXY\

Then nightly around (1800) 6:00 PM pacific time which is an hour past the
time my logs change
I move the daily logs into:
\\ISALOGSOLD
\\ISALOGSOLD\PACKET\
\\ISALOGSOLD\FIREWALL\
\\ISALOGSOLD\PROXY\
The reason I do this is that when you setup logs in ISA the default is 7
days of logs to store, so If you forgot
to move the logs they all get written over again. You could change the
number of logging days but it's not necessary when you follow the above
sequence. The nice thing is that it is automated.

The next step is processing the logs. I setup a scheduled job to run at
night for each of the 3 logs that import into my StatSphere Database.  After
each log is imported the log files are moved into:
\\ISLOGSPROCESSED
\\ISALOGSPROCESSED\PACKET\
\\ISALOGSPROCESSED\FIREWALL\
\\ISALOGSPROCESSED\PROXY\
Once there I back them up to tape and delete.

I've been testing out some additional functionality that will help with the
speed of the import using the BATCH IMPORT funcitions of SQL. So, I've
created a tool that strips out the comments from each log.  I'll keep you
all posted on that one.

Thank you,

Joseph